10th November 2018

Bluefin Sports (UHL) Supplementary Cup

Cirencester Town Development (1) Brackley Town Saints (3) 

Saints: Worby, Middleton L (Green), Ball, Brock, Godfrey, Goddard,Stott, Watts, Knight, Hammond, Kille 

A very entertaining game which was in the balance for much of it but which Saints fully deserved to win. Both teams had a number of U18 players involved with Saints giving a full debut to Lewis Middleton at right back. 

Saints were in control in the early stages knocking the ball around confidently and after only a few minutes Alex Stott played Ryan Knight in behind the defence but a moment’s hesitation saw the opportunity snuffled. But on 7 minutes Charlie Kille and George Ball combined down the left channel and played in James Hammond whose left foot shot flew across the keeper and into the top corner of the net. 

On 14 minutes George Ball dashed forward with great pace and played a one two with Kille who took the ball well and cut it back for Jordan Godfrey whose shot was just too high. Saints were enjoying themselves and James Watts played a great ball to Middleton on the overlap whose cross to the back post was dangerous but did not find a Saints head.  

CTD took 17 minutes to create an opportunity and Max Lloyd should really have got a shot on target after Saints fell asleep when CDT won a free kick in centre field. But Saints were still on top and a positive and direct run by Stott led to a Knight shot on target which was straight at Sam Ayres. On 27 minutes Watts whipped in a free kick which Stott got a glancing header on but wide of the target. 

Against the run of play CTD pulled a goal back on 30 minutes, when Max Lloyd beat the offside trap and slotted neatly past Ali Worby. This gave CDT renewed optimism and Connor Hibbs came close on the half volley from a corner on 35 minutes. At the other end Knight had a couple of half chances, Watts hit a good shot and Hammond and Watts combined  to release Knight whose well struck shot flashed across goal. 

Half Time 1-1 

The second half started with Saints attacking and CDT conceding a couple of free kicks in and around their penalty area. From one Knight forced another good save from Ayres but not as good as the save that he made on 57 minutes when from another free kick Kille was on hand to volley goalward but Ayres reflex save was exceptional. 

Defensively Saints looked solid, it was a question of whether they could find a way to break down the stubborn CDT rear-guard. Finally on 67 minutes Saints re-took the lead. 

Godfrey played a long ball into the box which was to long for Knight, but the defenders clearing header fell to Alex Stott whose first time half volley fizzed past Ayres into the bottom corner. 

Stott nearly followed this up a minute later with a right foot volley that was just too high. On 70 mins Curtis Green replaced Middleton. Saints sealed the game in the 77th minute when a great break down the left wing involving Brock, Stott and Ball ended with Kille committing the full back and pulling the ball back to the edge of the box where Hammond coolly side footed past the keeper. Although Worby was called upon to make regulation saves from long distance shots Saints played out the final 10 minutes comfortably. 

Well played to CDT who contributed to a very entertaining game, and were very welcoming hosts.