York City 2-1 Brackley Town  7 Oct 2017

 Parkin is nemesis again

A late free-kick by Jon Parkin won the points for York in the first game under new manager Martin Gray. Brackley deserved better from a second half they had dominated equalising with an excellent goal by Aaron Williams and seemingly the more likely to go on to get the win.

Buoyed by a partisan home crowd York started well. Amari Morgan-Smith’s header brought a fine save from Danny Lewis before City took the lead in the 20th minute after a succession of corners put the Saints defence under intense pressure. Daniel Parslow flicked a corner on and Parkin was on hand to put his side ahead.

As the half wore on Saints gradually established a foot-hold in the game and after the break gained the ascendancy much to the growing consternation of the home supporters.

Aaron Williams’ shot was well saved and cleared by right-back Josh Law in a warning for The Minstermen before only a last-ditch clearance from a goalmouth scramble kept the home side in front. Shane Byrne’s free-kick found Gaz Dean whose header set up Alex Gudger who rifled in a shot that was somehow blocked on the line before keeper Luke Simpson saved Gudger’s follow-up effort in another escape for City.

But the equalising goal was worth the wait. It arrived in the 70th minute and was no less that Saints deserved. Fine work by Adam Walker sent Williams away and, holding off the close attentions of defenders, the finish was clinical finding the corner from the angle.

The game had been well contested to this point but became more feisty and tetchy with yellow cards for players on both sides as some odd refereeing decisions brought frustration to boiling point in the final moments.

Parkin’s goal had been the difference between the sides when they met in last season’s FA Trophy quarter-final and it was another Parkin strike that again separated the teams in this first ever league encounter. The 86th minute free-kick was 25 yards from goal but the experienced Parkin powered his shot into the net to spark wild celebrations around Bootham Crescent.

“We deserved a point today no doubt,” was Kevin Wilkin’s assessment. “We sensed they were flagging and the second half was all us. Our fitness levels are high because these players look after themselves despite being part-time. But this result hurts. I am really disappointed we’ve not taken anything from the game. We had a very good chance just before we scored that we didn’t convert, our goal was excellent but they hit a terrific strike late on to win it. They got the break and credit to them for taking it.”

This was only Brackley’s second defeat of the season but wins for promoted Blyth and Spennymoor see them push Saints into fifth place while York move up to sixth.


Brackley Town: Lewis, Myles, Gudger, S.Byrne, Franklin, Dean, G.Walker (Tilney 90), J.Byrne (Lowe 46), Ndlovu, A.Williams, A.Walker.   Subs unused: Diggin, Kaziboni, J.Williams.

York City:  Simpson, Law, Ferguson, Bencherif, Parslow, Moke (Wharton 74), Newton, Heslop, Parkin, Morgan-Smith (Edmondson 72), Connolly (Felix 61).  Subs unused: Sukar, Worsnop.


Referee:  Thomas Parsons                 Assistants: Aaron Bannister and Lee Hible

Attendance:   2732