Salford City 2-0 Brackley Town  

Poacher Redshaw shoots down Saints

Goals either side of the interval secured the points for a strong Salford City side on an afternoon when Brackley struggled to get going in a tight game that was absorbing rather than exciting for the spectators.

“They scored at good times and managed the game well so credit must go to Salford”, said Kevin Wilkin. “There were few chances really at either end but we did not convert key moments into the goal that could have changed the game.”

It was the visitors with early opportunities to open the scoring as Aaron Williams was twice denied before Lee Ndlovu’s close range header was cleared off the line.

Salford’s Anthony Dudley hit a fierce shot that Danny Lewis tipped onto the post at full stretch midway through the first half but the break-through came in the 42nd minute. Strong running on the right by Mike Phenix brought a shot that was mis-hit across goal but Jack Redshaw made no mistake following up.

Brackley’s chance to equalise came in the 50th minute as Ndlovu’s header went just wide after a fine run by Matt Lowe created the opening. Within moments the Ammies doubled their lead with Redshaw’s second goal of the game as he finished well after Josh Askew had crossed.

Lewis saved Dudley’s well struck 71st minute effort but that was the extent of it as Salford defended their lead. Despite Saints’ possession clear cut chances to set up a tight finish to the game were rare and Salford ran out comfortable winners ending Brackley’s 18 game unbeaten run that stretched back to March.


Brackley Town: Lewis, Myles, Gudger, S.Byrne, Graham (Franklin 64), Dean, G.Walker, Lowe, Ndlovu, A.Williams (J.Byrne 64), A.Walker (Tilney 75).   Subs not used: Diggin, Kaziboni.

Salford City: Crocombe, Shelton, Askew (McHale 80), Burton, Piergianni, Maynard, Nottingham, Dudley, Phenix (Beesley 73), Redshaw (Dieseruvwe 80), Touray.  Subs not used: Aghayere, Allen.

Referee: John Matthews       Assistants: Derric Ward and Matthew East

Attendance:   1117